Monday, October 27, 2008

Chard, vaguely Middle Eastern/South Asian style


Chard is beautiful and delicious, but I'm a little bored with the way we usually cook it (simmer garlic in olive oil, add chard, add some stock, cover).

I was hoping to cook it in sort of a Tuscan style today, but we didn't have any white beans. Instead, I started tossing things in--half an apple, some dried currants, some curry powder--and it came out pretty well, I think (and viv agrees).

Here's the "recipe" (more or less):
Ingredients
1 small bunch chard, roughly chopped
1 large shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
c. 1 tsp curry powder
c. 1 tbs dried currants
1/2 apple, in chunks
olive oil
s + p

Directions
1. Saute shallot and garlic in oil over medium heat, until very lightly browned
2. Add chard, and cook until it reduces to about half its normal size
[If I were to do this again, I would add about 1/4 water here and cover, to make sure the chard gets completely tender; then remove the cover and cook off the water]
3. Add apples and currants, and curry (to taste - you may need more depending on how much chard you have and how strong your curry powder is) and cook until heated through and the apples are tender (though don't let the apples lose their shape and start to dissolve)
4. throw in a splash of white wine or sweet vinager or lemon juice to lighten things up
5. eat!

I think a little crunch--some pine nuts or walnuts--would probably be good as well.

[photo from flikr user M P G]

1 comment:

Viv said...

Ben forgot to mention that the chard came from our CSA - locally grown in Belmont, MA! Initially I thought it tasted weird but it grew on me. I love my chard sauteed with lots of onion, chicken stock, and S+P.